Thursday, December 11, 2008

A New Level of Comfort Food!

So I guess I can say that I really was raised on comfort food. Stews, chilis, macncheese, quick breads, mashed potatoes, all the good stuff!! My mom was never much of a spice queen or exotic dish creator, but man you better believe my plates were always clean!! This is part of the reason I think that I have been on a quest to discover new foods and ideas and tastes. I long for something unfamiliar and knowledge of experiences that I can share with others. I guess you could say that I long to have a little Tony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern-esque experiences!! But recently I have been waring a little thin on always trying something new . . . in my kitchen that is. We don't have many varietal restaurants in my hometown so I dont feel that a trip to the local Olive Garden will really satisfy my need for pasta or Perkins for pancakes! So I always make my own stuff, but lately I have gotten tired of it and have rediscovered my roots in simple food and the love for single or few flavors combined to just really give you that warm feeling of home. Lately I have rediscovered egg sandwiches . . . I know it sounds remedial, but trust me try one and you will remember why youloved them as a kid. I have been using my dill rye bread that I love so much, couple eggs and a slice or two of cheese. Now the kick is, I put jelly on the toast and a little bit of ketchup on the eggs while still in the pan! Again like many of my other dishes, don't knock it til you try it!! I hope to be discovering some more things that I have forgotten about. Tonight I think it may just be time for a grown up mac and cheese, I have some shallots that were gifted to me that are begging to be sweated and I haven't had pasta at all this week so I think we all know what I'm having for dinner tonight.

No comments: