Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Aubergine Delight!

Well I know that most people know the bulbous, purple and delicious prize as an eggplant, but for the sake of this post, we are going to refer to the wonderful veggie by it's other name, aubergine. Now I love aubergine and I have found many ways to cook them. I think they are a very versatile addition to any meal. One of the first dishes that I made with an aubergine was late this summer, I attempted a sad version of a stuffed aubergine. I didn't really put anything in the stuffing mixture and for sure didn't cook it as well as it should have been. Well in experiencing that failure I went on to other ways to slice, dice and devour the aubergine. Well I have been dying to try it lately, and it just so happens that some of our favorite combinations are tomatoes, aubergine and for me sweet Italian sausage (soon to be liked by my dinner guest as well). So I pulled it together and really did it right this time. We even had a little red wine to go with our wonderful, elegant aubergines. So basic ingredients went in, scoop the "meat" out of the center, boil; brown the sausage, remove let cool; saute onions, garlic and red peppers. Then drain the aubergine "meat" mix all ingredients in a bowl with S&P, bread crumbs, basil and one egg. Oh and some kind of cheese, we used cheddar. Then stuff the hollowed out shells and bake for about 45 mins. Needless to say they were delicious, definitely something we will be doing again.

No comments: