Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Glass . . . or two, a day!

So I have been dying to try a red wine. I have always liked white wine, mostly from cooking with it and the usual pairing of pasta and white wine (for me anyway). But it was time to move outside my comfort zone, spread my wings of wine indulgence and experience the bliss -in-a-bottle that awaited me. Needless to say I'm in trouble . . . I loved it, absolutely loved it. We got a bottle that was basically a newbie brand and flavor. It was a good intro though and got me wanting to try more and expose my palate to what else is out there. I will continue my mission with vigilance!!
So I made a Cabbage and Butternut Squash soup the other night. I followed another recipe that I had found for it. I had a head of cabbage and a butternut that I didn't know what I wanted to do with either one, so I decided to combine them and that's when I came up with the idea of the soup, did a little bit of searching and found that recipe on another site. It was really good I simmered the mire poix and the butternut until everything was caramelized and then threw it ALL in the slow cooker. Let it cook all night and we had it for lunch the next day. It was very good! Squash, cabbage, tomatoes, crushed red pepper and some other seasonings, made for a good warm meal on a cold day in the Rocky Mountain area!!

No comments: